Thursday, September 11, 2008

Planting Has Begun

Today was a very exciting day for me. The seedlings which I grew from seeds over winter of 2006-7 were planted into a seedling bed in the spring of 2007. Most of them bloomed this year and gave us quite a show of excellent new varities.

The purpose of building the beds was to move these seedlings into a larger show bed and have their old bed for next year's seedlings. The water feature was strictly an after thought.
But the result is quite impressive.

I had another helper, Matthew, move the 3 yards of mixed loam into the beds for the planting. He drove the mule down to our sand pit to get the sand for the walkway. We will cover the sand with mulch. The mulch arrives tomorrow. That means I will have to call on one of my helpers to put the mulch on the walkways and I will mulch the plants.

I moved all the daylilies which I had numbered as they bloomed. I photographed them and wrote descriptions in my record book. Tom, who still can't stand to walk because of his back, read me descriptions of the plants from a shady seat. I tried not to have two colors together. I will finish moving the others tomorrow. These will fill the upper bed.

If you notice a rock in the lower bed it is because I couldn't plant there. We had another large rock that couldn't be moved so I decided we would just have a rock feature in the bed.

What to do with the pile of rocks that were taken out of the beds is the next puzzle. The solution may come next spring.

3 comments:

Beth said...

well that explains why I couldn't get hold of you yesterday on the phone. It looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Take the pile of rocks left over to Dixfield for the International Rock Flipping Day next September. Hope Uncle T's back starts feeling better.

Pappy said...

I hate back trouble. Well, actually I hate anything that makes me hurt. Accupuncture might be the answer. As usual, Bebe and I are impressed by your gardening skills. We need to see it in person however before we make our final judgement. Pappy