Sunday, September 7, 2008

nothing is ever easy

Who said nothing was ever easy? They were right. However, I have succeeded in getting a picture into my blog. Praise Be!!

I composed this nice story last night about the cattail in the bog pool of my new water feature but the computer ate it before I was able to post it. I will try to reconstuct it as the original "nothing is ever easy" was meant for this story.

I wanted a cattail for my bog. As I drove around Sumner or anywhere else for that matter, I eyed every cattail I saw. Brother in law Charles said they looked as it you could just pull them right out of the bog where they grew. BIG mistake.

I found just the one I wanted not far from home but husband Tom had to go along to make sure I was not stealing from any one's property. The one I had found was in the right o way of a back road and the mower had already been mowing down the sides preparing for winter and snow storage from plowing. That being said, I knew I was in the clear.

I had Rodney, our yard helper, follow me to the designated spot. Husband agreed that it was fair game, so Rodney got out our small shovel and little pail to put it in. Remember, it was supposed to just pull right out of the ground.

Poor Rodney dug, pulled, dug, pulled and pulled as he struggled with the giant root ball. I'm sure he cussed under his breath that he had ever agreed to work for this woman. The thing finally came up, but it would in no way fit the bucket I had brought. We lay it on plastic in the back of my car until we could get home. I was able to pull the giant root and plant out of the car beside the pool. (I have failed to mention that husband has hurt his back and can only supervise.)

The next day, Rodney planted the cattail into the larger pot which you see in the pond. It may not be easy, but if you try hard enough, you will succeed.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations, I knew you could do it. I love the cattail--I hope it is fruitful and multiplies for next year.

Auntie Maine said...

I hope the success was not just an accident!!

Anonymous said...

I would say you got the cat by the tail and succeeded with this project. I'm glad this was a legal operation and you didn't need a family attorney. Keep us posted

Pappy said...

You are publishing now. Much more detail here than in the last post. Tell "T" if you are over fifty and not waking up with aches and pains, you're dead. That should make him feel better.