Monday, September 8, 2008

Jewel of the night


Once a year at exactly 10:00 p.m if you are lucky, you get to view a miracle which only God can create in the form of the most beautiful and fragrant flower in the world as I know it. The night blooming cereus is a wonderful creation, but it only last for four hours in the middle of the night. By morning, it is gone forever.
This year, sister and brother in law from Dallas were visiting. As we played cards someone went out to the sunroom to check progress on the flower every 15 minutes or so. I have learned to read the signs 'pretty well' having planned parties in years gone by around the opening of the flower, only to find I was one day too early.
You never know if you missed the night or if the night is tonight. We were lucky this year. I only had one blossom, but what a beauty it was. If you've never had the opportunity to see such a creation, either go buy a plant or find someone who has one and develop a friendship.

2 comments:

Pappy said...

What a beautiful bloom. I am impressed with the dedication to stay up past 10:00 PM to witness the event. Thanks for sharing. You have added to my limited knowledge of worthy flora over the years and wowed me with your ability to participate in the process of their growth.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your efforts to bring beauty into our world. This flower is quite beautiful. By the way, who won the card game?