Sunday, July 4, 2010

Outside Glacier





Yes, it is the fourth of July and we are sitting in a campsite just outside Glacier National Park in the little town of Conrad.
The TomTom wanted us to go a route that would have taken us nearly 600 miles today. We knew that didn't work, but Tom had worked out a route before we left home that was about 380 miles. We had to shut off the TomTom as the lady kept telling us to turn around but we took the shortcut. No towns to go through and no traffic. That comment is very true. We drove for nearly 200 miles without seeing but just a few cars. Actually the first 100 miles, we saw 2 cars. There were no houses either. I don't know where the ranchers live. Tom was clicking along at 70 miles an hour, so the road was great.
Before we got to this shortcut, we stopped at a rest stop on I94 just above the Yellowstone River. It was so beautiful and I got a close up picture of the yellow Yucca that was spotting the hills all along the road. Of course I had already stood behind a large Yucca bush for Tom to take my picture when I saw the signs all over the place saying to stay on the sidewalk because of rattlesnake danger!!!!!
The hills were full of something that looked like fields of yellow wild mustard and accented with silver sagebrush. As the wind billowed the grass in waves among the fields of yellow and silver it reminded me of a Monet painting.
Along with the fat cows grazing in the fields, we saw 2 antelope and one deer (alive that is )
Interesting to note that beehives were very prominate in the fields. I guess this is where they spend the summer.
The elevation is not bothering Tom so far and we were at 4700 feet at one point today. Now we are at about 3900 feet.
Tom liked the Yellowstone canyon and we followed the river beside us for miles and miles.
The pictures that I will be sending will show me and the Yucca blossoms. I had actually remarked that I wondered it there was a snake in the plant.
If you look closely to the right on one picture, you can see an elk. There were actually 2 but by the time I saw them Tom was flying by at 70 miles an hour.
I took a picture last night of our campsite by a large clay hill. We walked over to it and it was really made of clay.

No comments: