Monday, July 5, 2010

Glacier National Park Day 1





A few showers didn't dampen our spirits as most of them happened while we were traveling.
AND the mountains are really something to write home about. It is just awesome!!!!
Our campsite is great with heated pool and hot tubs. DRAT I forgot our suits.
The sites are in the woods basically and not too close together. This is the KOA at West Glacier. There is a nice store and if I don't want to fix breakfast, there is a nice restaurant with a breakfast under $4.00. Dinners are not pricy either. We are out of town in the forest and I bought a walking stick with a bell on it. However, the Ranger told me not to depend on the bell but to walk, talk and clap your hands when on the trail.
There are some short trails which he outlined for us to take tomorrow.
The 'Going to the Sun' Highway will be our goal tomorrow. It will take all day, though it is not long as miles go. With the stops, it will take all day according to the Ranger.
We took a drive this afternoon after having lunch at our campsite. We were set up by 11:00 a.m. Along the drive we stopped to look for wildlife, but ended up with pictures of flowers.
On the way from Conrad this morning, we stopped at an Indian Gift Store in the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. On the way out, three drunk indians were eyeing our car and camper. One approached Tom who is a soft touch and got two dollars from him. Good thing he didn't approach me!!! I don't yield so quickly.
I am sending pictures, but not taking the time to place them. There is just too much fun things to do. One nice picture is one I took on the road here, but it shows the mountains nicely. We can't see the glaciers as they are under 6 feet of snow, again, according the the Ranger. I think the pink flowers are Indian Paintbrush. I forgot my flower book. The lake in the picture is McDonald Lake and the guy having lunch is someone I picked up to help me set up the camper!!!!!!