Friday, May 1, 2009

Memories of chicken exercises



I've been trying to loose a little weight, so I volunteered to care for my neighbors chickens while they were in Florida. That wasn't the only reason for taking care of them as this neighbor feeds Misty and takes care of all my many flowers when we go away.

Now, I had all my instructions for feeding, watering and gathering the eggs. The first day my friends were gone a strong wind blew so hard the gate blew open and all the chickens got out. With a lot of running around and shooing, I managed to get them all back in the pen, miracle of miracles.

That night the winds were even worse and though I had put a rock in front of the wooden gate, it blew open. When I looked out the window at 6 p.m. I saw their next door neighbor, who has horses over trying to get the chickens in. I quickly pulled on my clothes and went running out to help. After much running and chasing, she had to go to work, so I left the door to the coop open and hoped they would go inside. They didn't. Later I went over and with just a little bit more of shooing and running, I managed to get them all inside.

That was day two a.m.

Day two p.m was okay until Tom went to empty the water dishes out the coop door. There was a major rush out the door. Oh No, here we go again!! I ran, he ran and we finally got them all in.

On day three I looked out the kitchen window and saw that one had escaped during the night. I went over to feed them and then couldn't find the one that was out. It seems to be the same old bird that manages to get out every day. The foxes didn't get her that night.

Day four, which is today I spied another one out in the morning but couldn't get her in. Over the day she enticed another one out. Tom was away again at a seminar so I waited until he came home to help me herd those two in. We actually got them in. I can't wait to see what the morrow will bring!

That's all until now, except, I have lost 4 pounds in the last three days chasing those chickens.

2 comments:

Pappy said...

There you have it. The newest best seller, "The Minding Your Chickens Diet". Sounds like fun. No Chicken snakes to fall from the rafters of the chicken coop like you had in Mississippi. You could really loose some weight when that happened. "The Chicken Snake Dance Diet" A more intense version of the first diet featuring an increased cardio workout. Have fun. Dennis

Anonymous said...

Those birds have run a fowl long enough. It's time to give the keepers a rest and allow you to lose pounds at a slower rate. At least you were spared chasing the horses. Take Care