Wednesday, May 13, 2009


While the outside is showing beautiful signs of spring, my indoor plants are doing great as well. I have several orchids in bloom, many of which have been in bloom for months. I reach the point where I actually have to place them under the faucet to wash off the dust because they bloom so long. It is the Phalaenopsis that bloom forever, but I have another small cattaleya in the kitchen window that just keeps blooming.

Monday night was the monthly Maine Orchid Society meeting in Gorham. I go with a friend since it is about an hour and a half away and we share rides. I only belong to this one flower group and that's enough. Monday was seedling night and we always get free seedlings to plant. I ended up with seven new plants which are small and if my luck holds, I will be able to kill them in a short time.

It's amazing how many people belong to this group. Most of them are all serious orchid growers but there are a few novice collectors as myself. There are over 100 people in the southern Maine club. The 'real' growers have no trouble rattling off the names of all the beautiful orchids that are brought in by members for the show table. I am awed by some of the flowers. Monday night a man brought in a plant that was about two feet high and had 25 Lady Slipper type blooms hanging all over it.

If you want to get started yourself, buy a Phalaenopsis. It will live and bloom for at least 6 months and you will be envied by your friends by having such a beautiful plant.

2 comments:

Pappy said...

Sounds like we need to plan a trip north real soon. We need to check out the new additions. Pappy

Anonymous said...

Looking good around there. Take care