Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Forbodings of winter








It looks like this week will be the beginning of cold weather and there are still many things that should be done, many of which won't get done. However, the ones that really matter have been taken care of.

Yesterday while working in my sunroom, I decided the screens had to come off and the windows had to be cleaned so all available sun from our short days could shine on the plants.







I took my elongated handle squeegie and a pail of hot sudsy water

and proceeded to knock off the dust.The streaks that I left may disappear with the next rain, but at least it looks cleaner. Taking the screens off was a big help as well.

Tom tied the deck table and chairs to the railing as we get awesome winds from the north which are strong enough to send heavy chairs moving into the glass doors. The blue tarp covers the snowmobile in readiness for that first snowfall. Last year the snow came so fast and deep that Tom only bogged down when he tried to get the thing moving and only succeeded in burying it in snow which is where it stayed until spring. This year we hope to fare better.








Our apple tree out front has shed all of the leaves leaving a few bright red apples for the deer to eat. However, they don't seem to be hungry. This is also evidenced by the tracks in my daylily bed, but no missing foliage, as yet. They also didn't cross over the bridge!!
Another sign that winter is approaching comes from the rhododemdrum leaves. They shrivel up when the temperature drops below 35 degrees in an effort to prevent moisture loss from the leaves. Isn't our wonderful creation awesome? And some say there is no divine creator!!





1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hello,

I've visited your blog after reading your comments on Beth's blog, and didn't just want to be a lurker.

We are experiencing snow and cold today, and I still have my lawn mower uncovered in the backyard...and still don't have enough room in my garage for my SUV :) These 'short on light' days don't allow much time to get all the chores done -- that's my story and I'm stickin' to it....