Friday, October 31, 2008

Bear signs




Tom and I walked around the woods a bit today. It was his first time in weeks to venture down to the river. He found this tree in the photo that has recently been gorged out while 'someone' searched for bugs to eat.


Now we have never actually seen a bear. We have seen signs of scat and the neighbors have seen the bear himself. He attacked their bird feeders all summer.


We can only guess the size of this one from the height of the top scratches on the tree. They are easily 8 feet high. Now it is Halloween today, but when Tom says it looks like bear, that's good enough to keep me out of the woods by myself!!!


We had a flake or two of snow on Wednesday, so today I got the daffodils in the ground and finished clipping the last of the phlox stalks. We can almost say to old man winter, "Bring it on."


The wetlands are filled with red berry bushes. I took this photo at the river today. I really need to look up the name, but my identification books are in the other room and I just can't remember what they are. I'll just say that they dress up the woods which are really baren of colorful leaves.

We had a heavy rain recently, but the beaver dam is still holding water two feet higher on the upstream of the river. Just wanted you to know that the bear didn't displace the beaver watch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you won't find Big Foot tracks. Stay safe and hope Uncle T is getting better.

Pappy said...

"If you go out in the woods today, you better not go alone.... Today's the day the Teddybears have their picnic." Looks like a bear must be a bear. Be sure and take your bear whistle next time you walk. At least you don't have to worry about Grizzlies, they eat Black bear. Pappy