Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Life Reflections Continued in Egypt and River Cruises

I guess I didn't reflect enough because I left out some wonderful memories.  While sailing  up the Nile River to the Aswan dam, we viewed camels carrying loads on the banks of the river as well as women gathering reeds and such from the river banks.  We also walked around in the desert marveling at the pyramids and thinking about the years of labor to make these monuments.  You could actually pick up a shard on the ground and find hieroglyphics etched into the stone.
We walked in ruins and on one tour were taken into the small apartment that was touted to be where Joseph and Mary hid Jesus from Pharaoh. We saw the spinx, of course and all the special monuments of Egypt.
We toured the Cairo Museum of antiquities with our knowledgeable guide and caught a nasty bug in the Cairo hotel.  I'm glad we went, and also am thankful we got home alive.
Other river cruises included a trip down te Rhine River and another on the Danube.  A highlight of the Danube was attending a concert in

I enjoyed the Black Forest in Germany and loved seeing all the markets along the Rhine at Christmas time. We soaked up the European culture in the land visits.

As we cruised along the rivers, we saw hills of vinyards along the way and castles were  a frequent sight.

I can't forget the cruise to alaska to mark our 70th birthdays.  We saw a little of the calving glaciers and I really enjoyed walking around in the little villages on the tour.

There is no place we have been that I did not enjoy though I was nervous in the Baltics and in Egypt.  We were brave touring   Holland by car though I would do it again if we were healthy.
Many of these trips were with dear Chuck and Luella and we always enjoying touring with them.
Now I think, I have covered most of our  trip  highlights and have enjoying making the trips again in theses posts.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The lady who went to Alaska with me was celebrating our 80th, not our 70th birthdays.