Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tulips in Ocean Botanical Gardens






Tulips have always been a favoite of mine since I was in kindergarten and had to draw that stilted version of a tulip that all kids draw. The teacher showed us pictures of Holland and I fell in love with the real thing. One of the highlights of my life was to go to Holland and see the fields and fields full of tulips.
I didn't have to go to Holland for these pictures. The Maine Ocean Botanical Gardens in Boothbay Harbor always has a beautiful showing in May. This year was no exception.
In addition to the tulips, the rhododendrum were in full bloom as well as the Lady Slippers. We saw hundreds of them blooming in an area set aside along a woodland trail just for Lady slippers. I have Lady Slippers in my woods, but not that many in a concentrated area, but then I haven't planned such a spot. And I might add, I don't have mega bucks to finance such a showing. However, it's great to have a place to go and see God's beautiful flowers.
Visiting the gardens was just another thing to add to the enjoyment of our ocean anniversary trip.

No comments: