Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer has arrived July 28, 2009




I proudly state the date in the title so you can see that summer actually came this year. Up until yesterday, we have had no days over 80 degrees since summner began in June. We had a couple in the spring that hit 90 degrees. Today is the same with 85 degrees. My garden will now grow in leaps and bounds.

I have frozen enough brocolli already for the winter and look forward to using the side shoots the rest of this summer. I plan to put a sign out front in the next week or so......FREE BEANS PICK YOUR OWN.


My daylilies are doing as well as could be expected in the cool temperatures and much rain. All growers seem to be having the same problems.

We enjoy watching the yellow finches at the feeder. They are the best kind of pets...outside!!

This clump of daylilies is called "Happy Treasure". I registered this one back in the late 70's and to me it is still one of the prettiest in the garden.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Our sweet little bees have probably helped create your bountiful harvest. beautiful pictures :-)

Anonymous said...

It arrived on my birthday, I feel honored. We've been in a rainy pattern for us especially for July.

Nan said...

Such a witty blog entry title!! And so true. Just after I read your words about goldfinches at the feeder, I looked out the window past the computer and saw a goldfinch in the lilac. :<) They like the seeds. I'm pleased to read the name of the daylilies. I'm quite sure I have some 'Happy Treasure.' When you say 'registered' do you mean that you came up with the daylily??!