Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yard activities






A lot has happened on Postlude Farms over the last week. As I mentioned, the garden club came for a visit and the garden was planted. Christopher is getting a taste of work in Maine as he plants out the tomatoes and pepper, but I think he likes it. The day after we planted the garden it rained, which was good, but it was so cold I actually had the heat on in the house. So much for seeds sitting in the nice warm earth!

Apparently Labrador Pond is a popular spot for turtles laying their eggs as we saw one on Sunday and two at the same spot on Monday. I hope to catch them when they hatch, but that is not likely to happen. I'll keep the camera close just in case.

The pond is also home to a pair of geese who hatch their young every year. I caught these moms and babies just at sunset. If you enlarge the photo, I think you can make them out.

The garden club members were enchanted with the water feature. The most interesting feature is the old pump at the top of the rippling stream. The pump was actually used before the old farmhouse burned, but the shallow well was long dry before we moved here. We removed the pump and Tom saved it for future use somewhere. The new water pond was exactly the right place. It was originally painted blue, but blue just didn't fit the color scheme somehow and I talked Tom into painting it the nice brick red.

Anyway, the water ripples down over rocks that we took out of our mine and you can see tourmaline chips and other crystals in the rocks. The water just enhances the effect.

I bought some Louisiana water hycinths to help keep the water clear. The bog pond has native water iris and the cat tail we moved last year with great effort on my helpers part, actually has signs of putting up a new shoot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How brave you are and you made it!! with no permanent negatives, just the positive of the experience with two very special gals. I especially love the photo of you and Beth close together. My you two are looking alike--same smile lines. Charlene