Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tree Swallows









For the past 8 or more years, Tree Swallows have used a tiny nesting box on our front porch. They come every year without fail. I guess it takes a village to outfit a nesting box and feed the young, because this box is the most popular place on our farm.

I can't find any verification that Tree Swallows return to the same place and when everyone is dressed in identical tuxedos, it's hard to say from one year to the next, who is who.

But every year, before Tom can get the nest cleaned out, they start bringing in grass and nesting stuff.

Years before we have seen up to three in the nest, but this year, we have quintuplets!! Believe me, this keeps the " village" very busy. We have actually counted five beaks. The baby mouths are so gaping large that if I were the mom I think I would run in fright.

Tree Swallows are the only green backed swallow to live in the east according to "Birds of North America", but when they fly I see more blue than green. My birding Book published by Time Life actually says they have steely blue upperparts and white underparts, which is more correct from my point of view. Most authorities say they like nesting boxes. We can certainly testify to that.

The nesting box is just outside my kitchen window. I just went to get another cup of coffee and I saw three little beaks asleep at the entrance.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. Another reason to visit Postlude Farms in June.

No comments: