Thursday, March 18, 2010

Daylily seed mystery

It is a big mystery to me how I can spend so much time preparing soil, getting everything just right and then plant my day lily seeds only to find the ones I accidentally dropped in a bowl of rocks sprouting long before the others.

I bought new potting soil and soaked it two days before I planted the seeds carefully in the little sections. I no longer label my seeds because I just don't have the time or energy. I can pretty well spot who the parents are when they bloom and my days of selling are over.

The day I was sorting the seeds to plant, some seeds fell into the rocks. I didn't have the patience to dig them out so I just thought they would be lost, but I had plenty others. You can imagine my amazement when I saw seedlings which were already 6 inches high in the rock pot. The pampered ones have just begun to sprout. This does not exactly go along with the parable of the sower, does it?

Maybe I have discovered something, but the problem may arise when I try to get the seedlings out of the rocks to transplant. I'll let you know.

No comments: