Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Garden produce in abundance




Yes, the rain has helped some of the crops, but the squash are beginning to rot. There is still enough for everyday use , but no extra. That, of course, keeps me from setting up a fruit stand on the street. I did pick several green peppers this morning.
The one tomato I picked may be bad inside. Farmers are pulling plants up and destroying them by the hundreds because of a blight. I'm not sure if my plants are affected. They look okay, but the fruit isn't.

The Kentucky wonders are just coming in and I may can some by the end of the week. I picked nearly a bucket full today, but we will eat on them awhile. At least I don't have to bend over to pick.

Carrots are such fun. I just love to see their bright orange bodies come out of the brown earth. It's like magic.

My ears were humming as the bees were all over the corn and bean blossoms as I picked. They left me alone. It was nice of them to share.

I'm sorry the pictures are all up top, but my Mac doesn't allow me to move them as they come up with numbers instead of icons and the strange formula doesn't move. I could do my blog on Beth's old computer she brought over, but it takes forever to work, so I just send my photos at the top. There can be no artistic placement. Enjoy anyway

2 comments:

Commonweeder said...

The photos are admirable wherever they are placed. I have a good bean crop, and parsley, lettuce and zukes, but Late Blight took out most of my tomatoes and I am dreading going down to the potato barrel this morning.

Anonymous said...

Auntie Maine, you are indeed OUTSTANDING IN YOUR FIELD.