Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Swap Shop






I've written a little about my dump Swap Shop, but feel I have to say more about the people involved with the shop and show you some pictures.



We had a shoe rack that we moved about daily and in the summer we put it outside leaning against the container. Today my carpenter angel came in and said, I have a solution for that shoe rack. This angel has already built all the shelves, an outside shed, installed the lights and everything else we needed. I followed him into the bookstore shop where he said, "I can put this on the back of the container door and it will be out of the way." I said, "Go for it."


He went to work and a few minutes later he had the rack securely fastened to the container door. Now no more leaning it against the books so people have to look through it to find their book choice.

I have three workers who want certain hours EVERY week. I have someone to open every Wednesday and another to open every Saturday. I have another helper who wants to close every Saturday.


Keep in mind that today's high was 22 degrees.


The town has recently added power so we have lights and heaters. In an open container the heaters are mainly for sitting down close to and getting your feet and hands warm. We have added a hot pot and have instant tea and coffee for the volunteers.


These people have faithfully weighed each item going out on our scales and for the year 2008, we kept 40,000 pounds of usuable items out of the waste stream in the Transfer Station.
Here is a shot inside the forty foot container.

That's enough for today, but I will blog again to tell you some heartwarming dump stories from the "Dump Diva".

2 comments:

Pappy said...

Hello "Dump Diva". The little operation has really grown. I wonder how long it will take for the rest of the lower 48 to catch on. If it weren't so far away, I might have a few donations.

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Dump Diva, I did get the book and look forward to reading it. also look forward to seeing you all soon.